|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||3.0|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Homestay|
|Program Type:||Internship, Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Culture, Education, Humanities, Iberian Studies, International Studies, Spanish|
Summer Practicum in Education - Seville, Spain
The Practicum in Education offers students with an interest in teaching and Spanish the chance to gain valuable professional experience over the course of a summer term in Seville, Spain. Students enrolled in the Practicum work as Teacher’s Assistants in the Center's "Playschool" program for Spanish children aged four to twelve.
Playschool is a 5-week language immersion program in an urban summer camp setting. Playschool students attend an hour of English class each day, but the goal is for Playschool students to learn through context- rich activities and routines that happen throughout the day. These include theater, cooking, science experiments, field trips and more. In fact, much of the learning happens outside of the class, as students naturally acquire the language from the English immersion setting.
Practicum students who will work with these children will participate in all the activities the teachers do:
- Prepare small activities during class time (such as ones that reinforce a grammar point or vocabulary set)
- Aid with classroom management
- Assist with crafts and manual activities
- Help with preparation and clean up
This is not a "theory only" practicum: it is an opportunity to get real life experience working with children both in and out of the classroom setting. It gives you the chance to see various learning methods applied within an immersive setting, from project based learning to context rich class time.
Students may participate in one or two Summer Terms focused on developing professional experience in education. Students work as Teacher's Assistants in the Playschool Program during Summer Term 2. Students may also add on Summer Term 1, during which students enroll in a 4 credit course of their choice, including the options of enrolling in language courses, content courses taught in Spanish, and The Psychology of Learning a Second Language, which is taught in English and is recommended for participants in the Practicum.
Learn the Language...
- Courses designed and taught by local professors
- Focus on language acquisition theory
- Over 40 years of experience in teaching language and culture
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Córdoba, Ronda, La Rábida, and Columbian sites
- Study visits within Seville to local historical sites and attractions
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain, Morocco, and Portugal
Live the Life...
- Opportunity to gain professional experience in education
- Daily interaction with Spanish children
- On-site orientation and cultural guidance
- Social activities and fiestas with local students
- Organized cultural events
- Homestays with local families
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
The goal of the Practicum Summer Term is to gain practical experience to study language-acquisition theory, teaching methodology, and cultural perspectives in the field of education. The program also guides you to live as a member of sevillano culture, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for your academic needs and access to language exchanges, cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into life in Seville.
Tuition is waived during Summer Term 2. Program fees include tuition for Summer Term 1 (if you choose this option), room & board, meals, onsite support, pre-departure support, laundry, day and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the program.
- 3.0 overall GPA required
- Working knowledge of Spanish preferred
- Coursework in the field of education
- Experience working with children, especially through teaching
- Skills in leadership, communication, organization and problem-solving
- Responsibility and dedication
Start your application today!
|Dates / Deadlines:|