Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad South Africa: Community Health and Social Policy
Cape Town, South Africa; Durban, South Africa; Johannesburg, South Africa (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Homestay, Hostel|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||African Studies, Anthropology, Biology, Culture, Dietetics & Nutrition, Education, Gender Studies, Health & Human Services, Human Rights, International Relations, International Studies, Internships, Political Science, Pre-Health, Psychology, Public Health, Social Policy & Administration, Sociology, Women's Studies|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Examine community-based health in South Africa, exploring the roles of the state, the media, and nongovernmental organizations in mobilizing community assets.
WHY STUDY HEALTH IN SOUTH AFRICA?The legacy of apartheid has left a large section of South Africa poorly educated and struggling with systemic poverty. Despite the country’s progressive policies, racial and gender inequalities still have adverse effects on health outcomes. You’ll examine a range of health services across Durban, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Pretoria, and other areas to gain a deeper understanding of how traditional healers, the state, the media, nongovernmental organizations, and state-of-the-art hospitals address health challenges. Learn and practice the isiZulu language and travel from city to village to learn about health communication strategies, health education, and prenatal care. As part of a lecture series, you’ll hear from academics, healthcare workers, and researchers. Stay with a variety of homestay families and witness firsthand how different communities face obstacles to healthcare access. During the program, visit Boulders Beach penguin colony; see wildlife in Kruger National Park; and journey to Cape Point, Africa’s most southwesterly tip.
- Network with NGOs, academics, healthcare workers and healthcare researchers.
- Compare health services across Durban, Cape Town, Pretoria, and Johannesburg.
- Enjoy three days of orientation while you observe wildlife along the banks of Crocodile River.
- Build your résumé with a customized internship or Independent Study Project.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- Healthcare access, promotion, and prevention in rural South Africa
- Use of media campaigns to influence health outcomes
- Civil society, laws and social policies ensuring the right to health
- Mixed methodologies: narrative making epidemiology accessible
- The inclusion of traditional healing in the health system
- Ethics of Independent Study Project or internship in South Africa
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.