Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad Vietnam: Culture, Social Change, and Development
Hanoi, Vietnam; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Homestay, Hostel|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Anthropology, Asian Studies, Communications, Culture, Economics, Philosophy, Political Science, Religion/Theology, Social Policy & Administration, Sociology, Vietnamese Language & Culture, Women's Studies|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Examine economic and social change in the cultural context of Vietnam, one of Asia’s most dynamic and rapidly changing countries.
WHY STUDY DEVELOPMENT IN VIETNAM?Vietnam’s rising status as a nation of extraordinary growth and socioeconomic change is matched only by its ecological and cultural attractions, which include six biosphere reserves and seven UNESCO World Heritage sites. Study Vietnam’s rich history, overcoming decades of war and isolation through social, political, and economic transformation to become one of Asia’s strongest economies. Meet government officials, Vietnamese National Assembly members and speakers with the Fulbright Program Center, as well as local university students who attend SIT lectures and can help you experience their culture. Observe international and local NGOs such as Oxfam and UNICEF. Experience indigenous music, arts, dress, and traditions. Visit the capital city of Hanoi, the cradle of Vietnamese civilization. Explore Hue, Vietnam’s last imperial city and home to the Forbidden Citadel and its tombs. Trek to the Phong Nha caves system and see the oldest karst mountains of Asia, formed 400 million years ago. Live with a Vietnamese host family in Ho Chi Minh City, the program’s base, and assist in a community-led service project.
- See Vietnam’s economic, political, and social metamorphoses in action.
- Pair with a local university student to experience Vietnamese culture.
- Build your professional network, engaging with NGOs and government officials.
- Visit indigenous K’ho Lach, Hmong, Red Dao, and Giay communities.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- How Vietnam emerged as one of Asia’s strongest economies
- Impacts of war, development, and tourism on fragile cultural sites
- Shifting gender relations and development pressures
- Social and political issues caused by rapid development
- Challenges of sustainable development and prosperity
- Microfinance and how start-up businesses grow
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.