|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Agriculture, Biology, Botany, Developmental Sciences, Earth Science, Ecology, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Geography, Humanities, Linguistics, Marine Science, Sciences, Spanish|
Explore the biodiversity in Monteverde’s Cloud Forest Reserve, beaches, waterfalls, and more – all while building on your Spanish language skills. Take courses on tropical ecology, and a Spanish language course appropriate to your skills at CIEE– Monteverde. Work on an independent research project in tropical ecology or conservation, from observation and data collection to a presentation of your findings. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursion to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
EXPLORE BEYOND MONTEVERDE
when you visit Costa Rica’s mangroves, lowland rainforest, dry forest, and other fascinating natural habitats.
PUT NEW SKILLS INTO PRACTICE
as you complete an independent research project that gives you an in-depth look at local flora or fauna.
BE ENCHANTED AND INSPIRED
when you hike under the dripping boughs of the cloud forest and observe colorful plants and animals.
Excursions & Activities
- Immerse yourself in the steamy jungle of Lowland Rainforest
- Explore a dry forest recognized for its study of regeneration in Santa Rosa National Park
- See how local coffee farms, livestock, and butterfly gardens add to Monteverde’s vibrant landscape
- Camp, hike, snorkel, boat, and swim while comparing Atlantic and Pacific slope habitats
- Hike above the treeline to explore endemic species and amazing views in Costa Rica’s paramo
- Discover local foods and customs in the town of Monteverde
Put your skills to work on an independent research project in tropical ecology or conservation, from observation to data collection and then to a presentation of your findings. At every step, you will be guided by an expert faculty advisor. Past projects have explored beetle habitats, hummingbird behavior, the prey of cane toads, orchids and their pollinators, and much more.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- A two-day orientation in San José to introduce students to Spanish culture, the academic program, and surroundings, plus practical information about living in Costa Rica
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host country
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.