|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||Russian||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore||Housing:||Homestay, Hostel|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Culture, Political Science, Russian, Russian Studies|
Bring your advanced Russian language skills to glorious St. Petersburg and master them! Immerse yourself in Russian culture, history, art, and literature with fascinating coursework at CIEE St. Petersburg, while practicing with language partners to dramatically improve your Russian. Volunteer opportunities ensure students are well integrated into the local community to form lasting interpersonal connections.
All courses are complemented with lectures, workshops, co-curricular activities, and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
LIVE AND LEARN
in a magnificent 300-year-old city whose entire center is part of a protected UNESCO World Heritage Site.
TRAVEL TO MOSCOW
and other Russian cities to get the bigger picture of Russian culture.
LIVE AND VOLUNTEER
in a smaller Russian town during the Alternative Break trip.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore city highlights like the Hermitage Museum, the Peter and Paul Fortress, the Russian Museum, Pushkin’s Apartment Museum, Baltika Brewery, and more.
- Attend a concert, a hockey or soccer game, get a taste of Russian and Georgian cuisine with cooking classes.
- See a ballet or opera performance in the city where Mikhail Baryshnikov started his celebrated dance career.
- Travel to Moscow for an overnight stay, and take-in the grandeur of the ancient Kremlin, the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, and unique historic metro stations.
- Take a second overnight trip to the Pskov region or Veliky Novgorod to see Russian life outside of St. Petersburg.
- Explore Russia on your own during Independent Russian Travel Week. Students have relaxed on the shores of the Black Sea, camped near Lake Baikal, visited the Olympic city of Sochi, and more. (Expenses not covered by program fee.)
- Lend your voice to the CIEE choir, or audition for the world-class St. Petersburg State University choir or orchestra.
- Meet up with a sobesednik - a conversation partner and peer who will help you adjust to St. Petersburg, practice Russian, and discover local lifestyle.
- Volunteer regularly, and you’ll get back as much as you gain! Help organize donated clothing at a shelter, pitch in at the Hermitage Museum’s archeological department, support the SKA hockey club and more.
- Volunteer during Alternative Break program, and get a different slice of Russian culture. Students lend a hand with community service in smaller Russian towns, such as Arkhangelsk, Kirov, and Tula.
- Help organize a cultural event while you explore a slice of Russian history. Past events include Stilyagi, a project starring the retro-hipster style of the 1960s Soviet Union; Russian Rock of the 1980s; and a Russian Imperial Spring Ball.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Russian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.