|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.75|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore||Housing:||Homestay, Residence Hall|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Acting/Performance Art, African Studies, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Culture, Developmental Sciences, Earth Science, Economics, Education, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, Health & Human Services, Health Science, History, International Relations, Internships, Journalism, Linguistics, Literature, Media Studies, Other Language & Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Public Health, Religion/Theology, Sciences, Sociology, Theater/Drama, Urban Studies, Women's Studies|
With one of Africa’s most vital healthcare systems, Botswana is an ideal place to explore regional, social, and scientific health issues. Gain hands-on experience and further your understanding of biology, development, medicine, and public health with courses at CIEE’s partner school, University of Botswana, as well as at CIEE Gaborone.
Get firsthand experience visiting clinics, public health, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and hospitals and use your skills volunteering at local organizations. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
SHADOW HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
to experience how healthcare is delivered in and around Gaborone.
SEE HOW MODERN AND TRADITIONAL MEDICINE
impact each other with a stay in a rural village.
GO ON SAFARI
where elephants, hippos, crocs, lions, leopards, and a mind-boggling number of birds wander free.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit a village for a long weekend to learn about the health issues faced in rural settings.
- Practice your skills in Setswana language as you explore historical and cultural sites.
- Get out of the classroom with community-based learning projects.
- Discover Botswana's rich history and biodiversity with excursions to Mokolodi Game Reserve.
Practicum. Shadow healthcare service providers in government-sponsored clinics and the like, learning about scientific and social health issues, and Botswana’s health care system.
Research. Investigate the impact of gender roles and the HIV/AIDS epidemic, social hierarchies among children, or other public health issues.
Volunteering. Make a tangible difference by donating time and energy at an environmental organization, orphanage, hospice group, soup kitchen, game reserve, or women’s shelter.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to local culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Dates / Deadlines:|