Programs > Brochure
CISabroad Semester in Barcelona - University of Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Housing:||Apartments, Homestay||Program Type:||Off-Campus Study|
|Areas of Study:||Art, Art History, Business, Catalan Language & Literature, Culture, Economics, European Studies, Fine Arts, Geography, History, Humanities, International Business, International Studies, Liberal Arts, Literature, Marketing, Political Science, Spanish, Writing|
Spend a semester or year studying Spanish language and culture in a vibrant setting, both inside and outside of the classroom. On Semester at University of Barcelona, you’ll soak up all that this uniquely Catalonian/European/Spanish/international cultural hub of the Mediterranean has to offer. Start getting excited about:
- Amazing street scenes and a culture that thrives outdoors - From the pedestrian street Las Ramblas, where you’ll find everything from impressive street performers to bird vendors, to the beautiful beaches, if you’re not outside in the pleasant climate of Barcelona, you’re missing out!
- Life in the cultural capital of the Mediterranean – Barcelona is home to more World Heritage sites than any other city in Europe. You will witness 2,000 years of architectural and cultural splendor. The numerous museums, churches, cathedrals, concert halls, the modern art of Joan Miro, Pablo Picasso, and the influential architecture of Antoni Gaudí and Mies van der Rohe make Barcelona an aesthetically appealing destination for visitors from all over the world.
- An academic program that emphasizes Spanish language and culture - Studying Spanish in Barcelona is the best way to improve your language skills. You can also take content courses in Spanish, such as Spanish Cinema, Current Spain: Society and Institutions, Spanish for Business, and and over a dozen more. Spanish language courses are offered at all levels, with multiple sub-levels and a distinction between “grammar” and “functional” content. If you want to give you Spanish brain a rest, you can also choose from a few electives taught in English.
- Fun group social and cultural activities – All CISabroad programs in Barcelona group you with all our participants on-site to enjoy social, cultural and adventure-based activities. We will take you to a Catalan cooking class, a flamenco show, and the Spanish cinema. We’ll also take you on two weekends trip in Spain, with possibilities including Costa Brava, Granada, or Madrid so you'll have a full study abroad in Spain experience. Chances are you’ll appreciate living in Barcelona more even after seeing the amazing sites in other parts of Spain!
The curriculum offered on the Semester at University of Barcelona (UB) is unique and offers a wide variety of subjects that allows all students to become familiar with Hispanic culture and society. You’ll take courses alongside fellow study abroad students from the U.S. and around the world. There are two main themes of the curriculum at the UB:
1. Instrumental Spanish Language for Specific Aims (Spanish Language: Grammar and Conversation)
2. Spanish Culture and Society (Spanish Culture, taught in English or Spanish)
The Semester at University of Barcelona (UB) begins with airport pickup at the Barcelona International Airport by a CIS staff member and then drop-off at your accommodation site. Semester at Barcelona International College is unique because of the hands-on activities, excursions, and assistance provided by our in-country site director. From the moment you step off the plane, our site director will be your mentor and guide. You’ll learn about life in Barcelona and at Spanish universities, the unique characteristics of Spain’s university system, and how to make the most of your time in Barcelona socially, culturally, and academically.
- A curriculum that focuses largely on the language and culture of Spain
- Multiple levels and sub-levels of Spanish language
- A unique range of content courses taught in Spanish, from art to business
- A few courses taught in English each semester
- An international setting, with students from around the world in your classes
- Fun social and cultural activities, including movie night, cooking class, flamenco show, and multiple tours and excursions
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Calendar Year||2018-2019||31-DEC-2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.