|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Barcelona SAE|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Accounting, Anthropology, Architecture, Art, Art History, Business, Business Design, Business Information Systems, Catalan Language & Literature, Communications, Creative Writing, Culture, Design, Economics, Education, English, Entrepreneurship, European Studies, Film, Finance, Government, History, Humanities, Interdisciplinary Design, International Business, International Relations, International Studies, Journalism, Liberal Arts, Literature, Management, Marketing, Mass Communications, Other Language & Literature, Photography, Political Science, Politics, Sociology, Spanish, Sports, Sports Science, Tourism, Urban Design, Urban Studies|
PROGRAM OVERVIEWOur Semester Program at the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) gives you an opportunity to take courses in English and/or Spanish that can count towards your major, minor or general education requirements.
Class sizes at SIS are small to provide a personalized experience which allows for individual participation and team projects. Each course includes various excursions that use the city of Barcelona as a classroom.
BARCE-LOCAL INTEGRATION WEEK
A unique feature of this semester program is our Barce-Local Integration Week where students will be given a full week of integration activities before classes begin. The week will include a service learning project, interaction with local students, diversity workshops, guest lectures and language crash courses. In addition, our Cultural Mentor program will help students transition well into the city and set the path for our ongoing cultural curriculum in classes and activities throughout the semester.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Located in the heart of the city, the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) is our most centrally located campus option. SIS boasts fantastic local and international professors, many of whom are working professionals in the field they teach. SIS maintains small class sizes and focuses on experiential learning, which means that students will get individualized attention and will participate actively during class. Each course includes a variety of field studies, museum visits, and guided reflection that closely tie the courses to the city itself.
The courses offered at SIS encompass international and cross-cultural topics, focusing on the city by discussing local history, art, architecture, literature and geography. Our Spanish Language courses focus on spoken language skills and include useful tools for students to debrief their experiences both in and out of the classroom.
SIS is a Spanish institution but courses are offered through Jacksonville University in Florida. Jacksonville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Jacksonville University. Non-Jacksonville University students can apply to transfer course credits to their home institution by requesting a Jacksonville University transcript.
WHY BARCELONA SIS?What sets Barcelona SAE’s Academic Study Center, Barcelona SIS, apart from the rest?
- Small Courses – Low Faculty to Student Ratio
- Personalized Attention & High Level of Support
- American Grading & Evaluation System
- Barce-Local Integration Week
- Active Learning & Participation
- Embedded Technology
- Guest Speakers
- Each Courses Includes 3+ Field Studies
- All SIS Faculty have a Ph.D. or M.A. in their Field
- All SIS Faculty Approved by Jacksonville University as the School of Record
Minimum G.P.A. Requirement
- Freshman-Senior Standing
- Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
- All participants must be 18 years of age by the start of their program, unless they are participating on a customized program through their home institution and have home institution approval.
If you have any questions about whether you meet the requirements, please contact us and we’d be happy to help you decide which Barcelona SAE program is right for you!
Barcelona SAE has worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS) is a Spanish institution with U.S. accreditation through Jacksonville University (JU). Upon completion of programs at SIS, a JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home university.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit an “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate in a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Courses at Barcelona SIS are taught in English and/or Spanish, and the class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience that allows for individual participation and team projects. Each course includes various field studies that use the city of Barcelona as a classroom, as part of the experiential learning experience offered at this school. Also, final grades will be the result of the combination of lectures, field trips, guest speakers, as well as projects, readings, and presentations that will be prepared by the students outside the classroom. All courses will include a mid-term and a final exam, that will be an important part of the assessment of each class.
- Option A (12 credits): 1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) Plus 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option B (12 credits): 4 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option C (15 credits) – Preferred:1 Intensive Spanish Language Course (90 Hours) Plus 3 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Option D (15 Credits) – Preferred: 5 Electives (45 Hours Each)
For the Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Semester/Quarter Program, students can choose from the following courses:
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture - (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Upper Elementary Spanish Language and Culture - (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture - (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Upper Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture - (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture - (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intensive Elementary Spanish Language & Culture – (Level A1/A2, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Elementary/Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – (Level A2/B1, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Intermediate Spanish Language & Culture – (Level B1/B2, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Intensive Upper Intermediate-Advanced Spanish Language & Culture - (Level B2/C1, 6 Credits, 90 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design - The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Arquitectura y Diseño Urbano - El Ejemplo de Barcelona (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Artistas Famosos de Cataluña - Dalí, Picasso, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Arts Management – International Perspective & Insights into the Barcelona Cultural Scene (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Barcelona and its Historical Foundations (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Business, Ethics & Government (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Civilización y Cultura Española (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross-Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Development (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Decoding the Secrets of the Great Masterpieces of European Modern Painting (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Deportes y Sociedad en España y Cataluña (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Digital Photography (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Entrepreneurship and the New Economy (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Food and Culture in the Mediterranean Basin (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Geopolitics of the European Union (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Business (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Introducción a la Literatura (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Language Playing, Language Learning (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Spanish Civilization & Culture (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Start-Ups and the Emerging Economy - Creating Your Own Business (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Understanding Barcelona - The Geography of a Global City (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the Barcelona SAE Academic Center (SIS), please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
STUDENT LIFEBe prepared to pack a lot into your time abroad! Your Barcelona experience will extend well beyond the classroom, and we are there to help you get the most out of it! Not only do we plan tons of Barcelona SAE Cultural Activities to keep you exploring the local culture, we send you a Weekly Cultural Agenda full of events so that you know what is happening throughout the city. You’ll also have a Cultural Mentor who will help you to get involved in a club or activity based on your interests.
You’ll also enjoy numerous Barcelona SAE Day Trips and Weekend Excursions (locations depend on term/program) that mix historical tours with modern events, while we try to get you off the beaten path to see Spain through a local lens.
And when you’re not with us? We’ll give you a Barcelona SAE Bucket List with 100 ways to experience the city! Go to a Barça game. Check out the Picasso Museum. Window shop in the Bohemian Gracia District. Discover a new restaurant with your Spanish friends. Why not?! There is no end to what you can do in Barcelona!
Our Semester Program at the Barcelona SAE Academic Study Center (SIS) Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
While in Barcelona:
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
Cultural & Social Activities:
- The Barce-Local Integration Week
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- Overnight and/or Weekend Excursion(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Day Trip(s) Outside of Barcelona - Exact # and Locations Dependent on Term
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Alumni Ambassador” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
HOUSINGBarcelona SAE offers our students a variety of housing options, which means that we have the perfect place in Barcelona for you to call your home away from home. We have carefully selected safe and adequate housing for each student but each living arrangement is different. We make every effort to provide you with your preferred form of housing, but due to space limitations we cannot guarantee that you will get your first choice.
Housing for the program is spread throughout the city of Barcelona. Every neighborhood is easily accessible by public transportation and the city is very walkable. The normal commute in Barcelona is around 45 minutes using public transportation from your housing to your school or internship, it may be a bit more or less than this.
Each neighborhood has a different feel…Les Corts is where the soccer stadium is, Gracia is hipster and bohemian, Eixample has a gay friendly district and incredible architecture, Sagrada Familia has wonderful shopping, Sant Marti & Poblenou are tech powerhouses off the tourist path.
Please click here to view more information regarding our housing options.
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Dates / Deadlines:|