Programs > Brochure
Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Summer Program
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Barcelona SAE|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Art, Art History, Business, Culture, European Studies, Humanities, International Business, Liberal Arts, Literature, Marketing, Spanish|
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) offers a personalized classroom atmosphere to students who are looking to rapidly improve their Spanish language skills and gain US credits for major, minor, and elective courses taught in English. The SIS Summer Program includes even more than your average summer, with each four week term including a weekend excursion within Spain, multiple day trips, career development tools, and a variety of courses to choose from for a wide range of majors!
You’ll enjoy a perfect blend of top-notch academics and experiential learning that include intriguing courses, guest speakers, local tours and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. Most electives are taught in English, but students are highly encouraged to enroll in our Intensive Spanish Language Courses to truly get the most out of the Barcelona experience.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are specifically designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) is accredited by Jacksonville University (JU) in Jacksonville, Florida. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at SIS, the JU transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at SIS with other international students, and class sizes are small to provide a personalized experience.
For each four week term at SIS, students can choose from the following options:
- Option A (3 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours)
- Option B (3 credits): 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option C (6 credits): 1 Spanish Language course (45 Hours) Plus 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option D (6 credits): 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Elementary Spanish Language and Culture (Level A2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture (Level B2, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Advanced Spanish Language and Culture (Level C1, 3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Architecture and Urban Design: The Barcelona Example (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Contemporary Spanish Society (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross Cultural Psychology & Early Childhood Education (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Digital Photography (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Great 20th Century Artists: Picasso, Dalí, Miró (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- International Marketing (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Management Across Borders (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Sports and Society in Spain and Catalonia (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at SIS, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- In order to receive credit from the SIS school of record, Jacksonville University, students must receive a grade of C or higher.
The Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS) Summer Program Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- SIS Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Jacksonville University
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Valencia, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|