Programs > Brochure
Barcelona SAE: International Business and Humanities Summer Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Barcelona SAE|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Architecture, Art, Art History, Business, Culture, Economics, European Studies, History, Humanities, International Business, Management, Political Science, Spanish|
The International Business & Humanities Summer Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) will deliver on all fronts by letting you study in one of Europe’s most vibrant and affordable cities while learning from local professors.
This program is perfect for those looking to get their feet wet on a global scale. The chance to learn from an entirely new perspective is priceless especially in the field of business. You will take courses in English or Spanish for your major, minor, or general education requirements that are customized for study abroad students, all while absorbing Spanish at an astonishing rate thanks to your Spanish courses.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.75
- Class Requirement: Sophomore-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UAB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UAB with other international students.
For the Barcelona SAE International Business & Humanities Summer Program at the UAB, students can choose from the following courses:
- Option A (6 credits): 1 Spanish Language Course (45 Hours) Plus 1 Elective (45 Hours)
- Option B (6 credits): 2 Electives (45 Hours Each)
- Beginning Spanish Language A1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Beginning Spanish Language A2 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Low Intermediate Spanish Language B1.1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Intermediate Spanish Language B1.2 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Upper Intermediate Spanish Language B2.1 (3 Credits, 45 Hours)
- Cross-Cultural Management (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- E-Commerce and Online Businesses (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- Español Para Los Negocios (3 Credits, 45 Hours, Spanish)
- International Business (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- International Marketing Strategies (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- Mediterranean Politics (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- Spanish Art and Cultural Heritage (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- Spanish Civilization and Culture (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- The Great Art Collections in Spain (3 Credits, 45 Hours, English)
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at the UAB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
- Once students have enrolled in courses at the UAB, there is a 100 EUR penalty for dropping a course if that student does not replace those lost credits with an equivalent amount.
The International Business & Humanities Summer Program at the UAB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- UAB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
- Welcome Hike & Traditional Catalan Meal
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Tarragona, etc.)
- Day Trip to Discover Catalonia (Besalú, Figueres, Montserrat, Girona, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, Guided Visits, and MORE!)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||01-MAR-2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.