Programs > Brochure
Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Barcelona SAE|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay, Residence Hall|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Art, Business, Catalan Language & Literature, Culture, Economics, European Studies, Film, Geography, History, Literature, Music, Sociology, Spanish|
The Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is sure to make your language abilities skyrocket! This program is designed for international students that are looking to take most of their courses in Spanish, but at a level for non-native speakers – providing you with the perfect balance of challenge and comfort!
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the Catalonia region and boasts an annual student population of over 90,000. It has always placed importance on international relations and for many years it has been the leader among European universities to host international students – around 5,000 students annually.
The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program taught in Spanish for non-native or fluent speakers and is based on Spanish and Latin American culture.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in Spanish or English and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UB with other international students.
During a semester at UB, students can choose between two different options. Please visit our website for more information.
- Option One: 12 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Two Elective Courses
- Option Two: 15 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Three Elective Courses
- Spanish Language – A1
- Spanish Language – A1.2
- Spanish Language – A2
- Spanish Language – B1
- Spanish Language – B2
- Spanish Language – C1-C2
- Barcelona Mediterranean Metropolis
- Cine Español
- Conversar en Español
- Cortometrajes del Cine Español
- Escribir en Español
- España Actual
- España y Europa
- Español Hablado en Situaciones Cotidianas
- Español para la Economía y los Negocios
- Geografía de España
- Historia del Arte Español – 1
- Historia del Arte Español – 2
- Lectura de Textos Breves
- Lengua y Cultura Catalanas
- Spanish Politics
- Spain’s Economy Highlights
- Viaje Literario por España
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the UB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the UB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- $250.00 Cultural Credit Card
- UB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Madrid, Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Salsa Lessons, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Intercambios (Language Exchanges with Local Students)
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Welcome Lunch
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- An optional four day weekend excursion to Morocco is available at an additional cost.
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|