|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Barcelona SAE|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Luther applicants only|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Apartments, Homestay|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Culture, Spanish|
The Spanish Language & Hispanic Studies Summer Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is sure to make your language abilities skyrocket! This program is designed for international students that are looking to take most of their courses in Spanish, but at a level for non-native speakers – providing you with the perfect balance of challenge and comfort!
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the Catalonia region and boasts an annual student population of over 90,000. It has always placed importance on international relations and for many years it has been the leader among European universities to host international students – around 5,000 students annually.
The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program taught in Spanish for non-native or fluent speakers and is based on Spanish and Latin American culture.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.75
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in English or Spanish and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UB with other international students.
While studying in Barcelona, you will take 60 or 80 hours of Intensive Spanish Language with the opportunity for 20 hours of Culture Courses. This content based method of learning taught by native Spanish speakers ensures you are not only challenged, but interested in your classes.
For the Barcelona SAE Hispanic Studies Summer Program at the UB, you will take the following course:
- Spanish Language & Culture
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every summer, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific summer abroad at the UB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The Hispanic Studies Summer Program at the UB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
- One Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times
- Group Webinar and Pre-Departure Preparation
- Personalized Advising
- UB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- Full-Time, Native English Speaking Staff of Barcelona Experts
- Independent Travel Advice
- An Overnight Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Costa Brava, Tarragona, etc.)
- Day Trip to Discover Catalonia (Besalú, Figueres, Montserrat, Girona, etc.)
- The “Barcelona Bucket List” (Suggestions of 100 Different Things to Experience in Barcelona!)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Barrio Tours, Guided Visits and MORE!)
- Welcome Lunch
- Mentor Program & Cultural Dinner
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||01-MAR-2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.