Programs > Brochure
The School for Field Studies (SFS) Costa Rica - Sustainable Development Studies (Semester)
Atenas, Costa Rica (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||The School for Field Studies (SFS)|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English, Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.8|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Residence Hall|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Anthropology, Biology, Botany, Earth Science, Ecology, Economics, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Geography, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Sciences, Tourism, Zoology|
SFS COSTA RICA: SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (SEMESTER)
- Terms: Fall, Spring
- Credits: 18 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: One semester of college-level ecology, biology, or environmental studies/science; 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Costa Rica is home to lush rainforests, towering volcanoes, rushing waterfalls, and a laid-back culture embodied by the national motto: “Pura Vida.” Spend a semester in the country’s many national parks, farms, and tropical ecosystems studying conservation, development, and innovative strategies for sustainability. Design and conduct an extensive field research project, collecting data and presenting your results to your peers and key community stakeholders.
- Explore the cloud forests of Monteverde, home to 2.5 percent of the world’s biodiversity, to study tropical ecology and sustainable land management.
- Take a weeklong expedition to Panama’s Chiriquí Highlands, a lush, forested region of volcanic peaks, coffee farms, rich Ngäbe-Buglé culture, and perpetual spring-like weather.
- Go behind the scenes at a local coffee farm and sustainable permaculture homestead to learn how Costa Ricans have successfully combined agriculture and conservation.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Sustainable Development Studies. The Center is an active organic farm overlooking the vibrant Central Valley, where green is the predominant color as far as the eye can see. Dorms and classrooms intermingle with orchards and gardens, while Center dog Hera keeps watch over it all. The friendly town of Atenas is a 10-minute cab ride away, offering restaurants, shops, parks, and cultural events.
- Climate change and tropical ecosystems
- Agroforestry and conservation
- Avian behavior
- Urban ecology
- Sustainable ecotourism
- Carbon sequestration
- Biodiversity assessment
- Songbird mist-netting
- Forest soundscape survey
- Basic Spanish language
- Research design and implementation
- Data collection and analysis
- Research presentation
Visit the SFS website
CONNECT WITH SFS
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram and Facebook
Watch student videos on YouTube and Vimeo
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.