Programs > Brochure
The School for Field Studies – Tourism and Tropical Island Ecosystems
Bocas del Toro, Panama (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||The School for Field Studies (SFS)|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.6|
|Housing:||Residence Hall||Program Type:||Off-Campus Study|
|Areas of Study:||Anthropology, Biology, Ecology, Economics, Environmental Studies, Geography, Humanities, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Marine Science, Sciences, Sociology, Spanish, Tourism|
PANAMA SUMMER I: TOURISM AND ISLAND ECOSYSTEMS
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II in Costa Rica)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Immerse yourself in the dynamic community of Bocas del Toro. Snorkel and hike through diverse environments – from coral reefs and mangroves to cloud forests and rainforests – and study the impacts of tourism on the island system and its people. Meet the local residents who depend on both tourism and natural resources and learn about current approaches to sustainable tourism in Bocas.
- Embark on a cross-country road trip from Panama City to Bocas del Toro to experience the full breadth of Panama’s culture, biodiversity, and sustainable practices.
This summer course can be taken individually (4 credits) or in combination with Session II: Fundamentals of Sustainability Research (8 credits). The combined summer program provides a thorough introduction to environmental management, tourism, and sustainable development in tropical ecosystems.
Visit the SFS website
CONNECT WITH SFS
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram and Facebook
Watch student videos on YouTube and Vimeo
|Dates / Deadlines:|