Programs > Brochure
SIT Study Abroad Portugal: Sustainability and Environmental Justice
Lisbon, Portugal (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Lang. of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Class Standing:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Housing:||Homestay, Hostel|
|Program Type:||Off-Campus Study||Areas of Study:||Anthropology, Education, Environmental Studies, European Studies, Forestry, Gender Studies, Geography, Government, History, Human Rights, Humanities, International Relations, International Studies, Law, Philosophy, Political Science, Politics, Portuguese, Psychology, Public Health, Sociology, Urban Studies, Women's Studies|
NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Learn how Portugal's approach to sustainability and social equity challenges the core principles of mainstream economic theory.
WHY STUDY SUSTAINABILITY IN PORTUGAL?Live in the European Green Capital for 2020: Lisbon, a city addressing carbon emissions and the impact of mass tourism through renewable energy technologies and social projects. Here, you’ll discover how Portugal’s approach to sustainability and social equity challenges the core principles of economic orthodoxy. On excursions to the ancient university town Coimbra, the Azores Islands, the coastal city Porto, and Spain’s stunning Extremadura region, you’ll compare conservation projects, sustainable agriculture production, resource management, and environmental good practice.
- Live in Lisbon, Europe's Green Capital for 2020
- Learn how policymakers are mapping alternative designs in green policies
- Travel to Porto, Coimbra, and Azores and Spain’s Extremadura region
- Learn about Portugal's national fire plan to reduce occurrence of forest fires
PREREQUISITESPrevious college-level coursework or background in sustainability, environmental studies, economics, natural resources, health, environmental policy, sociology or other related fields.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- Comparative approaches to sustainability and bioeconomy
- “The right to nature” and neoliberalism
- Environmental in/justice and health equity
- Urban regeneration in South European cities
- Environmental governance and sustainability
- Blue ocean and Mediterranean bioeconomy
MONEY MATTERSBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admissions counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2022||01-MAR-2022 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.